Re: miller spool guns for doing aluminum

To: Vincent Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com>,
Subject: Re: miller spool guns for doing aluminum
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:42:22 -0800 (PST)
Vincent Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com> wrote:

I'm thinking about purchasing a spool gun for my Millermatic 251 MIG
welder. The intended purpose is the once per month or so I have to weld
1/8" plus thick aluminum, and is in the interest of making it go faster
than TIG welding it as I do now. I'm thinking specifically about the
Miller 3035 spool gun. It looks like the bottom of the line, but suitable
for non production use.

Experience? Opinions?

Thanks,
-Vin

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

  Vin,
  Although I've had a few Miller products and greatly respect their reputation
for quality, I've migrated towards Lincoln machines over the past few years.
So, my spool gun is a Lincoln K1809.

  Looking at the spec.s for both brand's spool guns, the Lincoln has a few
advantages
  (higher amperage rating, greater wire diameter range and speed control at the
gun) for $20 more than the Miller.  I've standardized my various machines to a
Tweco/Lincoln Magnum cable assembly.  Perhaps, the Lincoln spool gun could be
easily adapted to your Miller, I've not tried it on my Millermatic 250 as the
gun's not moved from my Lincoln 255.  Your welding shop should be able to
answer this question.

  Regardless, I'd think that the Miller spool gun should work fine so long as
the amp rating is sufficient for your work.  I love tig but often don't have
the time/patience for it.  Aluminum mig is efficient so long as you use a spool
gun or push-pull system.  Do not be tempted to use the a teflon liner through a
normal cablehose with a push set-up as you'll be birdnesting.
  Good Luck,
  Charlie