RE: Photos of the Blast Cabinet I Built

To: Charley Robinson <charleyrob@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: Photos of the Blast Cabinet I Built
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:39:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- Charley Robinson <charleyrob@charter.net> wrote:

> I've been thinking about building one of these
> myself. Do you have any tips
> or problem areas that would I should be aware of?
> What size did you make and are you satisfied with
> it?

The size is OK, as long as the part to be blasted
fits inside it :-)  I was careful to make sure that
the door was big enough to admit a 19" Ford Model A
wheel.  But keep in mind that the light, gun, and
hoses
eat up a bit of room.

> Have you had a chance to use it yet? How does it
> work?

It works fine, and is very handy.  The most annoying
thing is that the old Sears shop-vac I use as a dust
extractor makes an incredible racket.

> Anything you'd do differently the next time around?

There is one boo-boo: The lower hinge for the door
gets in the way of the rear leg.  I naturally
discovered this after everyhting was all cut.  The
plans were not consistent and precise enough to reveal
this problem.
I had to mount the hing over the leg, and put a shim
under the upper hinge.

Also, I put the glove holes in the middle of the front
panel, and I probably should have moved them up as
far as possible. There is only an inch or two between
the bottom of the glove holes and the grating.

I plan to add a separate blowgun (w/ its own hose),
so I can blow off stuff before removing it.

Doug