Re: Auto tie-downs

To: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: Auto tie-downs
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:52:30 -0400
I just bought some new ones that are a variation of what I've seen lots
of racers do.  It is a single 2" wide strap of the usual material that
has a ring sewn on to one end, the other being a plain end that can go
in to a ratchet.  The idea is to thread the strap through the wheel
(easiest on minilites, hardest on wire wheels, workable on most stamped
steel wheels) and then the end threads through the ring, making a loop
with the wheel/tire in it.  The plain end then inserts through the
ratchet, which hooks to the floor mounted ring.  Only one per tire, and
seems to be very secure.  I often run in to clearance issues with the
axle straps, and I'm often loading or unloading in the dark.  Theses
tire straps seem to be a good alternative.

I got them via mail order from this place:
http://www.talcospecialties.com/web18.htm