RE: 4 light hi-beams

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: 4 light hi-beams
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:24:23 -0700
At 10:46 AM 9/11/2006, Randall wrote:

> > I have always thought it was poor design in many of the GM (and other)
> > cars/trucks that turning on the high-beams disables the low...
>
>I disagree ... low beams put all their light onto the road right in front of
>you.  All that extra light causes your pupils to contract, which makes it
>harder to see the weaker light from objects in the distance.  If you have
>your high beams on, you shouldn't have to worry about anything that is only
>20 feet in front of you, but want to know everything you can about what is

  Until you go around the corners anyway, life is not lived on a straight road.

  I drive in the mountains a lot and its nice to have the highs on
for the straight sections but the low beams are necessary in the
corners to see what is coming up.  I end up having to flip back and
forth between highs and low before and after each corner.  Its
frustrating as hell and I have looked into one of those switches to
make my GM truck leave all 4 lights on just because of mountain
driving (my favorite kind of driving).  If I am in a rare mood and
driving slow enough I just hold the lever back where all 4 lights
come on for the corner, but that is a rare mood indeed.  Now perhaps
in Tx. or some other straight and flat land, what you said above is
true (actually I am sure the part about the pupils is true no doubt
there) and on straight roads high only is fine.

  Now the Dino is wired so all 4 lights come on and even has driving
lights aimed to the side of the road for taking curves at their
proper speed no matter the time of the night and no flipping the
lights, just the gears :)

  Mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer       mikey@b2systems.com