Re: [Shop-talk] Rivet Steel to Aluminum

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rivet Steel to Aluminum
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:12:41 -0500
Hi, Guys,

    Just a thought about this thread.  Quoted below John makes an excellent
point:

<snip>

>>The truck body is held together with some large diameter rivets, but I
>>am guessing they had two-sided access when they assembled it. We only
>>have access from one side.
>
> Are you sure the rivets are pretty large?  *=*=*> The reason I ask, is
> that in
> most cases the truck panels are glued together now, and the pop rivets
> are used as clamps to hold the pieces of the body together while the glue
> drys.  <*=*=*

    The other day I was talking with (OK - I was pumping him for knowledge!)
the local Loctite rep (at our sons' Tae Kwon Do class) and he said the same
thing.  One of his clients is a bus body maker and that's exactly what they
do - glue it together with rivets to hold it while the glue dries.

Based on this I ask:  Jon,

    Have you thought about using the same technique for your need?  You
would certainly avoid any galvanic problems and since you can spread the
glue over the entire contact surface area (depending on how big that is) you
lower the required strength per unit area of holding force.

    I  suggest that you contact at least one manufacturer's rep about this
need.  Of course having just talked with a Loctite rep and grilled him about
their catalog products I'd suggest a quick call to them.  The rep might be
willing to drop by for a quick chat or might quiz you on the phone and be
honest about them not having an appropriate product.  When I was working in
the engineering area I used to be shy about "wasting" their time but one rep
set me straight - that's what they are paid to do and they believe that any
"small" sale can lead to a future "big" sale on another project.

    There are other competing adhesive manufacturers like Devcon that might
be willing to help as well.  Anybody else got any other suggestions?

    Good luck and let us know what you end up doing - inquiring minds want
to know!

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' - long long term restoration project
1965 Ford Falcon - until recently daily driver
other misc 4 wheeled transportation pods