Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>, "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:02:55 -0500
>> Anyway, I'm wondering what I can do with the car to keep "light surface
>> rust"
>> from turning into "this is a pile of junk"...  I'd like to get the
>> surface rust
>> removed, then paint everything with primer or whatever, something that
>> will
>
> Conversion coating.

If the rust is too much for plain conversion coating, go to Home Depot, etc.
& buy a gallon of phosphoric acid, dilute minimally as directed, and bruch
it on repeatedly.  Scotch-Brite helps in the process, and is better than
most alternatives.  Wear gloves - it won't hurt now, but the rough peeling
skin on your fingers in a day or two will make you wish you hadn't bathed in
it.

When it's clean, rinse with water, towel dry (to avoid flash rusting) and
then apply conversion coat and rinse as directed.

Karl