Re: [Shop-talk] Liquid paint stripper?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Liquid paint stripper?
From: crothfuss@coastalnet.com
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:13:54 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Old brake fluid, as Eric suggested, would do the trick since you're not in a
hurry.
Auto shops that do flushes oughto have enough used stuff to let you take a
quart.

There are some "safe" aircraft coating removers out there, like the two gallons
carried on a commercial aircraft to Japan. (try that nowadays!) I stripped my
whole
car with the stuff, and it was "safe to handle", until it came into contact
with
paint.  I got a glob of the disolved paint slop on my chest, and it painlessly
ate a hole through several layers of my skin before I even felt it.  Truly evil
stuff.

I was thinking that if you didn't overheat them, you could probably use a
propane
torch and a wire brush to get the old paint off, if that isn't too much like
work.

Chuck