[Shop-talk] water heater troubleshooting

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] water heater troubleshooting
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 00:26:21 +0000
any help on the water heater troubleshooting?

the pilot light lights and seems to stay lit, but the main burner won't fire,
as if the thermostat is bad.

this is our first gas heater after about ten years of electric, and I've
forgotten the simple fixes.  I seem to remember the thermocouple was the first
try, but I thought that was when the pilot wouldn't stay lit either.

I thought I'd check before I crack open the box and have at it.  any common
items to try first?

thanks.

scott