Re: [Shop-talk] RotoZip router / saws

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] RotoZip router / saws
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:42:46 -0800
Wayne - They work well, but can also make lots of dust.  Think of them
as a little router.

My last use was trimming drywall for an attic hatch.  I had a hatch made
of thin plywood that fit well for years, but wanted to make it look
pretty to sell the house.   I cut a piece of drywall slightly oversize
and glued them together with liquid nails.  I then took the RotoZip with
a guidepoint bit to follow the plywood edge and trimmed the drywall to
exactly match the plywood - like a router with a template.

Another nice use was cutting almost a full circle in the edge of a tile
for a neighbor.  This was reasonably quick with a carbide bit.  He'd
broken several tiles trying to do this with nippers.

My biggest use was repairing extensive cracks in my plaster walls and
ceilings.  I needed to clean out the cracks and scraping overhead was
rough.  The RotoZip made it much easier, though it went through a bunch
of bits.  None snapped, just worn down.  I tried a 1/8" drill bit and it
wore away as well.

If I were doing lots of drywall, I'd use it there as well for electrical
boxes.  Just identify a point in the box, partially secure the drywall,
plunge into the box, find the edge, route the box, then fully secure the
sheet.  It will make lots of dust, so I wouldn't use it in an occupied area.

I may use it more since my Dremel just broke.  Something in the way the
motor connects to the chuck failed.

Brian