Re: [Shop-talk] Sharpening a woodworking chisel?

To: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sharpening a woodworking chisel?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:35:38 -0400
Matt Trebelhorn wrote:
> I seem to have lost the knack.
>
> Actually, I haven't tried to sharpen a chisel in maybe 8 years.  The
> one I did back then is still pretty good, but I can't sharpen the
> rest of the set very well.  I have the same stone I used back then,
> and I use a little bit of oil on the stone... any tips or suggestions?

The above suggests most of the chisels are as they came from the
manufacturer.  Out of the box, most chisels won't hold a decent edge, so
you need to flatten/polish the backs.  Google "Scary Sharp".  One
addition, make a leather strop from the tongue of an old shoe glued to a
flat piece of wood and charge it with fine polishing compound.  Wipe the
back and bevel on the strop after sharpening and often while using the
chisels.

Pete Thomas