Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:07:46 -0800
> Second, the 6k ft^2 block building is the garage... There's
> also a house, but I'm familier with house costs.

So, how often/long do you need to heat your 'garage'?  And as I think
someone already suggested, why heat all of it?  Running even a big infrared
space heater shouldn't cost more than a few $$/hour, and should be able to
create a fair sized work zone without heating the entire building.

Back when I lived slightly west of you, I used a "salamander" (aka "smudge
pot") to work in the garage in the wintertime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_pot
As I recall, it would run maybe 24 hours on 5 gallons of heating oil (3 days
of working 8 hours/day; I never left it unattended).  Bit scary with all
that loose flame about; but the only problem I ever had was melting a turn
signal on my Audi while working underneath the car.

-- Randall