Re: [Shop-talk] Inside/outside angle finder

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Inside/outside angle finder
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 17:32:35 -0700
John - I got the same item several years ago. It isn't very accurate in
terms of markings. About the only thing I use it for is to lock it at an
angle I want to duplicate then take it to the miter saw and set the saw
at the same angle.

For molding, I also recommend coping the joint. Put the first piece in
with two square ends. Cope the end of each adjoining section and test
the fit, then cut for length. Continue around the room. It makes a nice
quick installation once you get the hang of it.

Another trick with angles is to cut the molding slightly long and get
the first end right. Then get the angle on the second end right, with
the piece still a bit long. Once you have both ends right, you have the
setting on your saw already perfect, so you can just trim a bit more off
the second end.

The only place angle really matters is outside corners. Fit the first
piece with a 45 deg cut. Have a scrap with 45 deg cuts on both ends and
test the angle for the other side of the corner. You can then tell if
the angle is greater or less than 45. Try and come close using the
paragraph above.

Brian