Re: [Shop-talk] shop heating options

To: richard@kleihorst.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] shop heating options
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:32:27 -0500
> electric heathers are the easiest to use and install, B they will keep
moisture
> out compared to the gas and oil types with open flames. Electricity is
> expensive to use, but very easy to
> control, cheap to buy, quick if you have enough capacity, clean, safe etc.
>
> I have a 30' x 50' space with floor-heating and external heater. Is very
slow
> to operate, but keeps the temperature at 100 celsius during winter. And
> because the heating is from below, it is B a pleasure working under and
around
> the project cars.

Richard,

It sounds like you have some flavor of radiant heating in you concrete
slab which is great but obviously difficult to do after the fact. I
failed to mention it, but it takes a long time to warm up a big slab
once it gets really cold and lying on a cold surface can be VERY
uncomfortable even if the air temp is more reasonable. Fortunately
where we're located (Central Texas) the winters are very mild and
ground temps rarely get down to freezing, even at the surface.

A short story - We were living in Hawaii in the early '70s and bought
a water bed. We decided we didn't need a heater because of where we
were. We filled the bed from the water hydrant just outside or bedroom
window, and spent one of the most miserably cold nights of our lives.
We laugh about it now, but it wasn't so funny at the time. Needless to
say we bought a heater the next day! Point being it take a while to
change the temperature of large dense masses.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums