Re: [Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:06:07 -0400
On Aug 3, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Rich White wrote:

> I'm not sure this would be a good item to get from HF.  I would be worried
> that it would be too sloppy to allow for accurate cuts.
>
> Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA
> '63 TR3B TCF587L
> That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!

I agree with Rich. You don't want a sloppy saw for things like flooring,
that's a shortcut to buying something twice.

I have a Ridgid chop saw and it's too flexy for fine work. I would buy a used
(or new) DeWalt/Porter Cable and sell it when you're done. My next saw will be
a compound mitre- I'm older and wiser and now believe in buying the right tool
once, no matter how small the job; I can always use it *somewhere*.

You said you have blades, but that's the workhorse of any saw so be sure
they're in top notch condition. I spent more on my blades $59 than I did on my
portable table saw ($39 floor model).

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive