Re: [Shop-talk] Solar car battery chargers - Now battery tenders

To: "'Scott Hall'" <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Solar car battery chargers - Now battery tenders
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:12:05 -0500
Sulphation occurs fastest when the battery is deeply discharged, but occurs
under normal use as well, just more slowly.

One option, given that you can't plug in a charger when you're parked for
long periods, would be to add an onboard desulphation unit that works while
driving.  I don't know how many manufacturers make them - the only one with
which I'm familiar is the one from BatteryMinder.

And really, I have no interest in the company other than satisfaction with
their products and their service.  For instance, I absolutely killed a brand
new recombinant gas airplane battery by leaving the master switch on for 5
days.  The solenoid drained the battery absolutely flat, I couldn't get it
to take any charge, and the battery manufacturer was pretty sure I could
never reclaim the battery.  Note to EE's - yes, I did try a plain,
non-computer charger at first because computer chargers won't charge a
battery that doesn't have high enough voltage.

Not wanting to replace a new $200 battery without trying something, I called
BatteryMinder and talked with their head tech guy.  He told me how to
properly recharge and condition the battery, and even called me back a
couple of days later to see how it was coming along.  2 years later it's
still fine.

Karl