Re: [Shop-talk] What's the hot ticket for a new deck?

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What's the hot ticket for a new deck?
From: "David C." <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 19:49:00 -0700
I had a wood deck on my previous house.  Cedar and PT.  It was ready for
replacement or major repairs after about 15 years, so we moved....
We're in the PNW, lots of rain and evergreens, and the deck was pretty
much right under a lot of doug fir and hemlock.  Lots of needles.  I
usually pressure washed every year or so, and restained it several times
while we were there, and we were still starting to get rotten deck board
ends and other deterioration.  It would probably have been good for
another 5-7 years, but it was getting there.

At our new place (a few miles away, same climate, more cedar and less
fir) we decided to go with synthetic and had a contractor put on a
Timber Tech deck.  It's nearly ten years old and no problems.  Sweep and
hose it annually, although it's probably due for pressure washing soon.
  The only downside I'm aware of is that the joists need to be on 12"
centers, and all the screw holes have to be pre drilled.  It's also
slick on the bottom, so when you put it on a chop saw it just about has
to be clamped down.  The contractor had to re-do a lot of miters because
the material slipped.  Whe walking surface is ribbed, and very secure to
walk on.