Re: [Shop-talk] 2008 Mustang Tire Wear

To: "'Bob Spidell'" <bspidell@comcast.net>, "'Shop-Talk'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 2008 Mustang Tire Wear
From: <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:32:10 -0400
> I have a 2008 Mustang GT (Bullitt model).  To my surprise, the front tires
seem to wear more on the inside than the outside,
> which is unexpected since I try to spend as much time on the outside of
the tread as possible (if you get my 'drift').

>From my experience with strut suspensions, moderate negative camber with
mild toe-out can cause that sort of wear in 10k miles or so (e.g., -1.5
camber and 1/8" toe-out).  If you eliminate the toe (out or in), the wear is
reduced considerably.  I ended-up running -2.5 camber and adjusting two-out
at each autocross to reduce the inside tire wear.  For a street car I'd
probably just do a minimum of camber and have the two set to zero.

BTW, I love those Bullitts -- nice and understated.

- Ian

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive