[Shop-talk] Oil analysis - Blackstone

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Oil analysis - Blackstone
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:53:33 -0400
Hey Guys,

Anyone else using Blackstone labs or other services for oil & fluid
analysis?  I sent off samples of oil and ATF from my mom's 2003 BMW 530.
  She's been going by the dashboard "service soon" indicator, which
works out to over 15,000 miles between oil changes (!!!)  BMW also
claims the ATF and differential oil are "lifetime" durable.  I called
bull on that, and have started doing oil changes for her, and swapped
the ATF.  Sent samples to Blackstone, actually hoping for some bad news
to shock & awe her into taking better care of the thing (she intends to
keep driving it for a good while.)

Amazingly the 17,500 mile oil and 89,000 ATF came back with pretty good
results.  Anyone else using Blackstone?  Wanna trade notes?  Don't think
attachments will go through the list server, but if you're interested, I
can send you the reports off-list, or post on the web.

-wayne

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive