[Shop-talk] anode rods-- was the air saga continues

Subject: [Shop-talk] anode rods-- was the air saga continues
From: jibjib at att.net (Jack Brooks)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 20:19:03 -0700
I don't know that gas fired water heater technology is allowing the new
heaters to use a fraction of the energy.  They are pretty low tech.

I agree on other technologies can do this.  We just upgraded our old 80% gas
furnace to a high efficiency heat pump, with another 80% gas furnace as back
up.  I chose the low efficiency gas furnace because in Seattle, the heat
pump runs fine almost all the time.  The gas furnace rarely fired except
during one or two cold snaps, so the extra cost to go to higher efficiency
(cost + new flue, etc.) did not make sense.

I still think changing out anodes and flushing tanks makes sense, until
better technology comes along.  Simply flushing your tank every year or so
will increases your gas fired tank efficiency, as it removes the insulating
layer of crud from the bottom of the tank.

Jack