[Shop-talk] Oxy-Acetylene for soldering copper pipes?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Oxy-Acetylene for soldering copper pipes?
From: doug at dougbraun.com (Douglas Braun)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:20:56 -0400
Thanks for the advice-  I used a piece of fiberglass cloth I had lying
around, and nothing got singed.  I used the oxy-acetylene torch, but
it was probably not the best choice, since the jet of hot gas seems to
go out pretty far, sort of like a light saber.  But fortunately the
tip is small and it was easy to manuver it so that nothing flammable
was in its way.

At one point I had to clean off a glob of melted solder with a small
stainless steel wire brush, and the torch accidentally melted a few of
its strands.  I don't think you have to worry about that with propane!

Doug