[Shop-talk] battery tender

Subject: [Shop-talk] battery tender
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 07:35:56 -0700
Tim,

Overcharging--charging at too high voltage--will cause a lead-acid battery to
vent hydrogen gas (that's why you want to
ground to chassis when jumping a car battery--just in case).  The modern
battery tenders/minders are 'smart;' i.e. they
only apply enough voltage to charge, then maintain, a battery.  A 'dumb'
charger will overcharge a battery; I used one
once and forgot to disconnect it and it boiled some of the acid out of the
battery, exposing the plates and ruining the
battery.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this--you aren't likely to create a
Hindenburg in your garage.  Just be mindful when
you open the hood to disconnect the charger there is a slight chance of a small
amount of flammable gas (your biggest
risk may be forgetting to disconnect the charger).  It wouldn't hurt to give
any gas a chance to dissipate before
disconnecting the charger.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net