[Shop-talk] Parts solvent--simple green?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Parts solvent--simple green?
From: bjzwissler at gmail.com (Benjamin Zwissler)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 07:41:01 -0400
I see two issues with using non-solvent based fluids in parts cleaners.
First, I've been told that if you leave aluminum and other non-ferrous
materials soaking in them they can corrode all or part of the material
away.  I've seen some heavy corrosion myself but nothing further.  Second,
like most detergents it will be "used up" once you've cleaned a finite
amount parts.  Then you have to dispose of it and that's not easy
once its  loaded with grease and oil.  You could pour it down the drain, but
I doubt the local sanitary district would approve.  I have mineral spirits
and in 15 years I've added some and scraped the bottom of settled out crud a
few times that's it.  After cleaning in the parts washer with mineral
spirits I will often finish up with detergent degreaser and water in the
utility tub to get rid of any greasy residue.

Ben.....