[Shop-talk] Formica counter

Subject: [Shop-talk] Formica counter
From: ejrussell at mebtel.net (Eric J Russell)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:52:22 -0400
In the olden days it was common to nail/screw the substrate (plywood) down
then glue the Formica on. Usually the cabinets/counter tops were all built
in place.

Now-a-days cabinets & counter tops are built off site, delivered and screwed
together. Look carefully for any screws going up though the tops of the
bottom cabinets - remove drawers and look up. If you don't find any then it
is likely you are dealing with option one.

Yes you can glue new plastic laminate (Formica is a brand) over the old. The
unknown will be how good is the original bond between the Formica &
substrate? If you are satisfied with the original glue bonds and the
condition of the substrate then rough up the old Formica with sandpaper and
have at it!

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell