Re: [Shop-talk] Well water installation

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Well water installation
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:27:22 -0400
On 8/15/2011 8:09 AM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> OK, now that the oil tank removal is behind me, I'm working on my next
> major project, installing a well.

I've had one [well system] for the last 9.5 years, and by necessity have
learned a lot about them.

#1  Get a BIG ASS pressure tank.  You really can not go too large.  You
need one that lets the pump run for a minute or more.  It's the storage
buffer between the well and house.  Electric motors LIKE to run for a
sustained period, not on - off - on -off.  That will burn up the pump
motor and run up your electric bill.  Many (most?) well companies will
try to install a little tank to keep the cost attractive.  If a company
proposes such in their quote, RUN AWAY and seek someone else.  My house
had a little 20 gallon tank that had 5 gallons of "draw down". So the
11.5 gallon/minute pump ran for less than 30 seconds per cycle.  Since
doing it right [myself] I have an 82 gallon Flexcon Inc, "Flex Lite"
tank that does 22 gallons draw down at 60 psi.  The pump runs for just
over 2 minutes a cycle, oh yeah !  It is hard to sense the vibes from my
well pump 180 feet down, but I think it's much happier.  In Western
North Carolina, I'd recommend Appalachian Well and Green River Well.

#2 try to get a "pitless adapter" vs an out the top pipe.  You Do not
have to worry about them freezing.  [assuming you are in most of the
country that occasionally freezes]

#3 get a PVC or stainless steel sleeve in the ground.  Using other
materials that rapidly rust makes for short longevity and rust in your
water.

#4 I like to support my local vendors as much as possible, but in this
case none of them were wiling to come close to price.  These guys are a
vendor I recommend:   http://www.wwpp.com/

-wayne

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96