[Shop-talk] Tunneling drain pipe down a hill?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Tunneling drain pipe down a hill?
From: TR3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:34:55 -0700
> Do you have  a farm supply near you? Go to the area where
> they have hose and
> pumping equipment. Look for a big flat hose that they use for use for
> drainage pumps. It is generally blue. It sort of looks like a
> flat fire
> hose.

FWIW, Home Depot sells the flat blue hose in the garden department next to
the swimming pool supplies.  Or I could give you some if you want, I've got
more than I'll ever use.  But I doubt you'd want to leave it laying in the
yard year-round.

My thought would be something similar to what you describe; except mostly
using water as the cutting tool.  Force a hard stream of water into the
ground kind of like hydraulic mining, but using the 4" drain pipe to limit
the affected area.  If your soil is anything like mine, there just isn't any
other way to cut through it.  Without the water, a post hole digger just
bounces off.

-- Randall