Re: [Shop-talk] Battery recycling was cordless tools

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery recycling was cordless tools
From: Miq Millman <miq@bigllama.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:05:14 -0800
After all this chat on the "rental" of cordless devices, I have to chime in
on what just happened in my shop:

My Ridgid 18v Li-ion 1/2 driver, which I've had about 18 months, and bought
when my old Makita 14v system lost both battery packs (and the third
battery pack I build out of R/C nicad cells), had both battery packs stop
taking charge.  Typically, it sits in the top of my tool box with one pack
on the driver and one pack sitting on the charger unit hanging from a nail
on my wall shelf.  So it's subject to garage temps year round -- no
specific heating or cooling, just standard insulation.

Normal warranty:  90 days + 3 years on breakage, but if you register on
Ridgid's website within 90 days, they have a lifetime warranty on
everything.  I called them, they gave me a "repair shop" nearby, and I
dropped off my battery packs yesterday and they will be replaced for free.
 I was expecting 2-3 week wait, but the shop called this morning and I can
go pick the new replacements up today.

I bought it at a sale at the orange big box store, came with 2 battery
packs, a nylon zippered case and a "condtioning charger" for about $160.
 The unit has decent power, an led at the base of the handle to light up
the work area, and takes bits up to 13mm.

Here's the text from Ridgid:

*WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT*

The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID. Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary
Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly
maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks,
motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your
qualifying RIDGID.Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and
replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGID. Brand pneumatic
tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service
Agreement does not apply to other RIDGID. Brand products.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@bigllama.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html