[Shop-talk] Shop question (but wood working)

Subject: [Shop-talk] Shop question (but wood working)
From: pj_thomas at comcast.net (Peter J. Thomas)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:33:18 -0500
On 11/24/2011 10:19 AM, eric at megageek.com wrote:
> I'm not sure if a wood working question is appropriate here, so let me
> know if I'm stepping outside the allowed content.
>
> I'm sure someone here has an answer however.
>
> OK, I have a nice knife block with knife set.  One of the knives was
> replaced with a better one.  The problem is that the new knife doesn't fit
> in the slot on the block.
>
> Does anyone know how to cut/expand one of those slots in a block of wood.
> I need to go about 7" deep?
>
> Failing any other solution, I was thinking of cutting the block in half
> with a bandsaw, routing the slot, then gluing it together.  This is not my
> first choice however.
>
> Thanks guys and have a happy thanksgiving!
Your approach is probably the easiest and the way the block was made in
the first place.  Only issue I see it the kerf of the saw blade will
make the block narrower; don't know if this is an issue for you.

Only other approach is to use a mortising chisel.  Not the power
mortising kind that like a drill press, but the old fashioned hammer and
chisel.  http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/sorby18sashmortisechisel.aspx

1/8 inch is the narrowest I've seen.  That might be too thick?  If you
have a piece of bar stock the right thickness and a bench grinder you
could make your own.  Grind a 45 degree bevel on the end and sharpen
with oil stones or emery cloth.  A mortising chisel is different form
other chisels.  If you lay the mortising chisel down the bevel is on the
right or left side, not parallel to the table like other chisels.  The
idea is to widen the slot a fraction of an inch at a time by pounding
the chisel in.  You can also deepen the slot with this kind of chisel.

Peter T.