[Shop-talk] Generator question

Subject: [Shop-talk] Generator question
From: elans4 at cox.net (Mullen)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:01:15 -0500
Doug Braun wrote:

> Looking at the parts diagram, I noticed that the engine (B&S) had
> an optional fuel shutoff valve, but the snow blower manufacturer
> had chose not to spend a dollar or two to include it.  There was
> a blanking cover where the valve was supposed to go.  So I ordered
> the valve, installed it, and now I can close the valve and let the
> carb run itself dry after each use.

It doesn't even have to be a fancy fuel shutoff valve.  I bought
one in the "garden shop" section of Lowes (around $7 -8 last time
I checked).  It's simply a generic valve that goes in the fuel
line.  I disconnected the fuel hose from the carb, connected it
to the valve, and added a shot piece of hose from the valve to
the carb.  It hangs slightly below the cowling on one side of
the engine, near the throttle lever and the key switch.  When
I put the snow blower away, I shut off the valve, and "drive
it" into its storage place on the side of the garage.  It
usually runs out of fuel in the carb by the time I "park it".
To start it the next time, turn on the valve, and it usually
starts right up with little extra effort.  By the way, the
snow blower is about 25 years old now, and it still starts
instantly.

Tim Mullen