Re: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:55:50 -0800
         I've been a customer of Tire Rack since the mid-'80s, buying many
street and race tires from them.
         As for the problem of shops not liking you bringing in tires
bought online to mount, Tire Rack has a Recommended Installer Program.
         It works like this.  You select on the website which of their
installers you prefer to use.   The tires are then shipped directly to that
shop so you don't have to lug them around.  You then call the shop, tell
them you have a set of tires enroute to them from Tire Rack and make an
appointment to have them installed.  As part of the Recommended Installer
program, the shop must list on the Tire Rack website their charges for
installation and must stick to those charges.
         It really works great.  I have mine shipped to a local shop that
is very good, they do tons of work for local racers, hot rodders,
etc.  They're a sole proprietorship, not a huge chain so their employees
are not 18-year-old, $10-an-hour hacks who just mount tires as fast as they
can with no regard to quality of work (my biggest complaint with the large
chains).

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 273,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       316,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96