Re: [Shop-talk] [Roadsters] Slightly OT--car won't start

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] [Roadsters] Slightly OT--car won't start
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:09:10 -0500
At 09:39 AM 12/22/2011, Bob Spidell wrote:

 >>re: "I didn't know that a battery can show fully charged and still
be bad (a new thing learned!!!). "

 >'Fully charged' usually just means the battery shows nominal
voltage (around 12.7V, IIRC).  You can
 >charge a battery to this level--I believe it's called 'flash
charge' or similar--but a dying battery will
 >discharge and the voltage will drop immediately when any load is applied.

 >I sprung for a battery load tester the other day.....

Having a true battery load tester is great!!  But I also suggest that
everyone pick up a cheap multimeter from
Harbor Freight, especially when they go on sale, less than $5 and
carry it in your car.  I have one in every
car and every tool box, on the garage bench, and a couple in the house.

To test a car battery, place the leads across the battery you should
see 12V or more.  Then have some one
try and start the car.  If the voltage goes below about 11 V then the
battery is dead.

A volt meter will show a battery is charged even though it's dead
because the meter doesn't draw any
current.  So you have to put a load on the battery, like trying to
start the engine or turn on the headlights.

A quick easy test.

Then when the engine is running over 1500 rpm the voltage should read
14 - 14.7 V.  If not then you
probably have a bad alternator and it can't charge the battery, or
the battery could be bad.  But most of the
time is the alternator or a bad electrical connection.

For more info. check out the article "The Starting System"

http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/electrical/starting/art026.html

on my Morgan web page.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums