Re: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors

To: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors
From: Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:54:17 -0500
I have the 6314. I got it about 6 or 7 years ago. I restored a Sprite and
maintain 2 Sprites with it and other than replacing the water drain all I've
done is normal maintenance.

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa/

On Dec 23, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have Husky Model VT6315 (the biggest one with wheels) and have no
complaints.  For a compressor, it isn't painfully loud, though is slightly
smaller than the one you listed.  I wanted wheels so I could move the
compressor closer to where it was needed and plug into a regular 120V outlet.
This worked at well at my previous house on a flat lot.

> My only problem now at the new house is a poor electrical system and getting
the compressor started the first time.  I have to flip it on for only about 5
seconds at a time until it starts or I pop the breaker.  Once started the
first time, I'm good.  One of these days I'll run real power to the garage.
Can't blame the compressor for this.  The voltmeter shows about 80 volts when
the compressor is trying to start and the wall outlet.

> The comparable Kobalt didn't have the fit and finish of the Husky at the
time I looked.  I seem to recall that Husky was made by C-H.

> Brian
>
> On 12/23/2011 7:49 AM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
>> Hello and Happy Festivus!
>>
>> Santa has graciously allowed me to pick out an air compressor for my
>> Christmas gift.  However, he claims to not know too much about various
>> brands.  After telling me my budget, I've got it narrowed down to
>> three of similar spec, which I surmise will suit the average hobby
>> garage:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/HD-Husky   Husky at Home Depot
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/Lowe-Kobalt   Kobalt at Lowe's
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/TSC-CH   Campbell-Hausfield at Tractor Supply
>>
>> I note the the Husky and the C-H appear nearly identical.  My
>> experience with Husky is limited to a small pancake compressor, and
>> none at all with the others.  My current compressor is a 35-year-old
>> Craftsman 1HP, 20 gallon with a rusty tank.  Anything is an
>> improvement, but if I'm going to shell out this kind of dough, I only
>> want to do it once.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any advice or recommendation, not necessarily limited
>> to these three, but in the general price range and capacity.
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jeff Scarbrough
>> Corrosion Acres, Ga.
>>

>> Original links:

<http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Air-Compressors-Tools-Accessories-St
ationary-Compressors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbb2r/R-100083906/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId
=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053>

<http://www.lowes.com/pd_221565-14989-LLA3706056_4294795218_4294937087_?produ
ctId=3115863&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Air%2BCompressors_429
4795218_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0&facetInfo=>

<http://www.tractorsupply.com/campbell-hausfeld-reg-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-c
ompressor-3310006#BVRRWidgetID>

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/bk13@earthlink.net