Re: [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter

To: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 19:41:57 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
The cheap digital one on sale with the coupon for a few bucks at Harbor
Freight is fine for most basic home tasks.  As a plus, it is so
inexpensive, you don't worry when you bump it and it falls down through
the engine compartment onto the driveway.  I don't know how accurate it
actually is, but for measuring continuity, I don't really care if it .1
ohms or .3 ohms.  I would consider their meter to be in line with
anything you pick up at another store in the $10 price range.

If money isn't a concern, I've liked any Fluke meter I've ever used, but
you do pay for them.

You also have to decide on analog or digital.  Sometimes it is nice to
watch the needle stay at a constant point and not drift.  Also if
chasing an intermittent connection, that pointer may respond faster and
more obvious than a digital meter.  I have both, but seldom use the
analog, mainly because the probes suck.

I guess that brings out a final factor.  Check the probes.  They should
be comfortable to hold and the cables should be very flexible.  I have a
Craftsman meter that I bought back in the late 80's that has insulated
clips that screw on to the probes for a good solid connection.  Having
the clip on leads is nice and I'd pay extra for that.

Brian