Re: [Shop-talk] Easier EE question

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Easier EE question
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 16:55:56 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Eric - I agree that you should try another breaker.  But first, when you
trip the breaker what else goes out?  In other words, is it a dedicated
circuit for the bed or is the circuit shared with something else?  As an
example, I can't start my compressor when the living room TV is on or I
trip the breaker.  Even then, to start it initially, I have to pulse it
a few times or it trips the breaker. My situation is a 15A compressor on
a 20A circuit, but it is a good distance from the breaker box with
several connections along the way.   (The house came this way - a future
project.)

You may also have a bad outlet.  You could try a good 20A outlet (one of
the prong holes looks like a sideways "T") and don't use the push in
connector/back-wire.  You want a large part of the wire well clamped for
a great connection.

Do you have a different circuit near enough to try?  That is also a
quick check.

I've never used one, but search for "clamp on amp meter".  It seems like
a easy solution to check the current going to the bed.  Check it
compared to the power tag on the bed.  If you don't have one, you can
buy a new tool.  Amazon had them starting about $20.

If all of that is good, I'd try the top or bottom of the bed by itself.
My assumption here is that one part may be bad and turning off a bank of
lights is easier than individual lights.  The top and bottom should each
pull a near equal current, so you can do a process of elimination and
look for the problem - half of the top/bottom, then half of the next bad
half, etc.

Also, that connector that shorted may have failed due to an overload, so
I'd look at what is around it as well.

Brian