Re: [Shop-talk] Whole-house surge protection

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Whole-house surge protection
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:01:40 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
I had one on a house (builder installed) and I don't believe it ever did
anything in the five years we lived there.  I don't think I would get one
in your situation.  As I recall, it only protects from spikes coming off of
the street and not if your house is hit.  The house we live in now has
above ground lines on the street and to the house.  I probably would get
one if we weren't planning to move soon.