Re: [Shop-talk] test lead connectors

To: John Niolon <jniolon@att.net>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] test lead connectors
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:38:41 -0800
John - You can buy just the pins that go in the connector without the
connector body.  Typically when making a connector, you connect the wire
to the pin then insert it in the connector.  A local electronics store
may have them.

For a quick test without going to the store, consider something that you
can jam in (but not too hard to mess up the pins).  Some stiff stranded
wire might.  For small connectors (dishwasher control panel), I used a
pin (like from a new dress shirt) as a probe and clipped my test lead to
that.  I've also used segments of a soda can.  You can cut the can with
ordinary scissors to get a length and width to suit your need.  Use
caution as the cut edges are sharp. You could crimp some light gauge
wire in the can segments to make it easier to connect your meter
probes.  You can also twist a strip of the can around a nail to make a
sleeve.

The important thing to do here is avoid any short if testing with
power.  Don't do this for high power like 110 AC or a high current DC
application like connected to a 12V auto battery.  I would also not do
this with any sensitive electronics that are powered on.  It should be
fine for a continuity or resistance test of equipment that is off.

Brian