Re: [Shop-talk] UPS fun

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] UPS fun
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:17:53 -0400
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 03:31:30PM -0600, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> You may recall I brought up the topic of the UPS into which the Team.Net
> server is plugged.
> I was a bit concerned because of the noises it was making, but not too
> worried about its
> performance as a UPS.
>
> Just had a short power outage, and NOW I'm worried. It kept the server
> running for about 35
> seconds - not good.

What kind of noises?  Barring any other indications of a hardware failure,
it sounds like you simply need to replace the battery(ies).

That said, if it turns out that you *do* need to replace the UPS, secondhand
APC SmartUPSes can be had pretty cheaply on the secondhand market.  It's not
uncommon for SU1500 variants to go for around $100 minus battery (figure another
$60-$75 for a pair of 18Ah SLAs).  For a single server, an SU1500 is probably
overkill but nobody ever complained about having too much reserve runtime...