[Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:31:01 -0700
I have a pair of Chamberlain PD200 openers in the garage.  They are
about 15 years old and until just recently have been flawless. Lately
the one on my wife's side (naturally) has gotten flaky.  As soon as you
push the button to close it, it reverses and the light flashes.  Opening
is normal.  If you hold the wall mounted (hardwired) button down it will
close and stay down, but it will no longer close with the clicker.  When
the problem first started the door would partially close before
reversing, but now it doesn't even move.

I adjusted the photocells, lubricated everything, and adjusted the
sensitivity pots and turned the open and close distance pots through a
few turns.  For a few cycles it worked ok and then reverted to it's bad
behavior.  I called the local residential/commercial GDO business, who
also installed the opener in my shop a few years ago. I wasn't here, but
according to my wife he lubricated everything with "something heavier
than WD40", "adjusted" it and left.  It worked for a week.  I looked
yesterday and he had turned the sensitivity pots all the way up to 11.
So, $100 down the toilet.

The one on my side works flawlessly....so far.

This is a standard, chain drive, 1/2 HP rolling code unit, nothing fancy.

I can buy a new one at Home Depot or Amazon for $125 or so.  Before I
do, anything else to check?

thanks