Re: [Shop-talk] Seasonal water hammer?

To: "Larry Spector" <lspector@gmail.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Seasonal water hammer?
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 13:33:15 -0500
X_cmae_category: , , a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:17 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=xwPayol1AAAA:8 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=7L0Q7Ao1G6Juj6iJRy0A:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:117
Is there a water hammer preventer in the system? (I don't know if that is
the real name - usually a capped off section of vertical pipe, the intention
is for that vertical piece to be filled with air and act as damper for
sudden changes in water pressure.)

If so, the cold weather would likely reduce the volume of air in the water
hammer preventer, lessening the dampening effect. Draining the water pipes
might let it get refilled with air and return the preventer to full effect.
Or a larger vertical pipe (longer or larger diameter) might fix it.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC