Re: [Shop-talk] replacement windows

To: "John Niolon" <jniolon@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] replacement windows
From: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:43:28 -0600
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
I replaced every window in my house this year (>35 of them) and of course did
a fair bit of research before deciding. Like yours, they were 20+ years old,
wooden, single-pane and very tired.

We went with Simonton argon-filled (double-pane, low-e) vinyl windows. Wow,
they are *really* nice. The vertical ones are all double-hung, and they can be
released to pivot inward for cleaning the outside surface without going
outside (esp. nice for the upstairs windows). So, yeah, it was a major
investment, but it made an amazing difference in the heating/cooling
efficiency (esp. cooling here in the Houston area).

For installers, just ask around and get references from your
friends/neighbors. My neighborhood has it's own email list and we all help
each other out with contractors/painters/roofers/etc. Labor is cheap here but
we figured about $500/window.

 - Lee