Re: [Shop-talk] [Bulk] Re: Grinder pedestal

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] [Bulk] Re: Grinder pedestal
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:23:19 -0800
> I use a now-unobtainable option.  My Dad found a round cast iron "No
> Parking" sign base sometime in the late 40's and it's pretty much perfect.
> Probably 40-50 pounds, about 18" in diameter at the base,  easy to roll to
> another location, and really sturdy.  I've never seen another one, but if
> they're still to be found somewhere, it's a perfect base.

This has *absolutely* nothing to do with bench grinder bases, though I
think a disc or slab of steel or an old wheel with suitable weight on it
should work fine.

I grew up in a house in the Sunset end of San Francisco, and our house
- like many of the houses in the area - was equipped with a wonderfully
sturdy kitchen table that was a linoleum-topped square of plywood
attached to an oval shaped piece of 1/2in steel base.

My father, who'd been working in the Kaiser shipyards in Richmond until
he was drafted in early 1943, noted that that all those oval-shaped
table bases were passageway cutouts from Liberty ship bulkheads.

John.