Re: [Shop-talk] barn door questions

To: steve@hochschild.org, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] barn door questions
From: steve hochschild <steve-hochschild@att.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 12:03:28 -0500
I appreciate these warnings that my door was too narrow, I was all
caught up in the barn door issue and completely forgot that I was making
a garage door!  So it is now 11', and I will need a triple track to hang
the six 2' wide panels, I think.    The building is 16' wide, the 11'
opening is centered, leaving 2 1/2' on each side, so six 2' panels with
3" overlap on each side.

More info:

I had to shoehorn this into a very confined space, so ended up with a
two story plan on a 16' x 32' slab.  Shed roof, 2/12/ pitch, galvalume
standing seam roof.  Exterior stairs to the second floor. First floor is
12' useable height, second floor ceiling is 6' to 9'.  512 sq' each
level,  AC upstairs from a (yet to be purchased) window unit installed
through the wall.

Double doors out the back, full light service doors at the top and
bottom of the stairway, upstairs level has a big picture window over the
garage door, and another on the high side wall, 1st fl has a big window
under the stairway.  Security is not really an issue.  No plumbing at
all.  I need about 60 amps for my welders, the lift, and the AC, so I
think that I will have to get a second meter. The plan is to build it to
the studs, and then get someone else to immediately do the insulation
and drywall upstairs.  I am leaning towards the cheapest laminate
flooring  upstairs at the same time, but am open to other suggestions.
Planning standard epoxy on the shop floor.

I paid $6500 for the slab, with a friend doing it.  This was a comedy of
sorts, as we had to pump the concrete and none of us had done that
before.  Then I had 3 different contractors bail on me. Austin is
booming, there is so much work that they are all too busy doing other
more lucrative projects, and the second floor meant that all the
handyman level guys got scared off.

So finally I went to Tuff Shed.  Is this blasphemy on this list?

They gave me a price of under $30/sq ft, $31k. They spent this week
pre-building some of the panels, the stairway, and anything that can fit
on a flatbed.  They are starting on-site tomorrow and they say it will
be done by Friday...

So this is the last chance to correct any other oversights I have made.
Appreciate the help so far!

Steve in Bee Cave, outside of Austin, but in the county, so no permits
required...