Re: [Shop-talk] let's talk plumbing while I freak out

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] let's talk plumbing while I freak out
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 22:37:56 -0800
Tim - If you can get it apart, you can probably fix it.  You probably
have one of two configurations.

1 - A washer against a seat.  You will take off the trim and unscrew the
shaft.  At the end, will be a washer with a screw holding it in place.
This is quick and cheap.  If the washer looks compressed and has a ring
from the seat, it needs to be replaced.  Also look at the seat in the
part inside the wall.  If it isn't super smooth, plan on replacing it
too.  You will need a special wrench - think an oversize square allen
wrench.  If you can turn the valve a little tighter after it is off,
this is what you probably have.  This type of valve will also be several
turns from off to all the way open.

2 - A cartridge of some sort.  This comes apart like #1, but you just
replace the complete part.  Take the old one to the store and get a
match.  There is typically a different part for hot and cold because
both may turn in different directions.  This valves are often a quarter
or half turn from off to full on.

I've serviced both of the above and always found the parts at the local
hardware store or home center.  The local True Value had someone that
knew what they were doing and clued me into replacing the seats in #1.

Be sure to turn off the water.  One of my valves was set into the wall,
so I cut a paper plate to make sure the water would hit the plate and
run into the shower instead of going down into the wall.

If any of the screws are even partially stripped, replace them so you
can get them out in a decade when you service the valve again. The
screws will either be brass or stainless.  Don't use a regular screw.

If you have trouble removing the handle, leave the screw in loose while
you pull and wiggle the handle.  When the handle suddenly pops free, the
screw will stop you and the handle from going into the opposite wall.

Consider a trip to the hardware store or home center to look at the
parts in advance.  If you can see a brand on any of the fixtures, make a
note of that as some like to match all the plumbing parts. For example,
if you have a Kohler tub and toilet, you may also have Kohler valves.

Since both shower valves are probably used equally, if one is going, the
other might not be too far behind.  I'd consider servicing both.

Brian