Re: [Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go

To: eric@megageek.com,Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go-Jacks followup)
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 13:35:58 -0500

--=====================_585183041==.ALT

Eric,

I use battery minders in my garage.  They are supposed to have a
desulfating function.  I haven't done any in depth analysis, but they
seem to keep the batteries in good shape and the price is way less
than $200 for the basic, single 12V battery model.  More like
$50.  As for the GoJak dollies, they are not hydraulic.  At least the
original ones that I have are not.  The only ones I saw that were
hydraulic were copies by other companies.  I assumed that this was an
attempt to get around the GoJak patent, but now that has
expired.  The force required to move the dollies, whether GoJaks or
any other style, all comes down to the surface and the quality of the
casters.  GoJaks come with very nice casters.  I have taken cheap
Chinese dollies with steel casters and made them lots better by
replacing the casters.  Of course, the casters probably cost more
than the dollies at that point, but the end result was something way
more functional.  I guess as long as you are having success with what
you have, there's no reason to mess with it.

-Steve

At 12:46 PM 11/18/2016, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>Friends, I hope this doesn't turn into a "synthetic or conventional
>oil" type debate.
>
>What is currently the best trickle charger on the market?  I'm tried
>of ones that break or don't seem to work properly.  I currently use
>Shumakers, but they don't seem to be doing the job.  (Maybe I just
>need a different model of theirs?)
>
>Price isn't a huge issue, (under $200 a piece I would guess.)  But I
>want something that will work.  I use them, all the time, on a
>forklift, motorcycles, ATV, Generator and a few other items.
>
>TIA.
>

>Update on Harbor Freight Go Jacks.  They are not hydraulic like
>actually go jacks.  They DO lift the trailer with no issues and I
>can move it on pavement.  I does require alot of force to move, but
>that isn't the jacks issue.)  I'm thinking the hydraulic ones are
>NOT preferred as they have seals that can go bad over time.  These
>are mechanical and there isn't anything really to fail.
>
>If you ever wanted a set, order them now for $70 each and save serious cash!

--=====================_585183041==.ALT

Eric,<br><br>
I use battery minders in my garage.&nbsp; They are supposed to have a
desulfating function.&nbsp; I haven't done any in depth analysis, but
they seem to keep the batteries in good shape and the price is way less
than $200 for the basic, single 12V battery model.&nbsp; More like
$50.&nbsp; As for the GoJak dollies, they are not hydraulic.&nbsp; At
least the original ones that I have are not.&nbsp; The only ones I saw
that were hydraulic were copies by other companies.&nbsp; I assumed that
this was an attempt to get around the GoJak patent, but now that has
expired.&nbsp; The force required to move the dollies, whether GoJaks or
any other style, all comes down to the surface and the quality of the
casters.&nbsp; GoJaks come with very nice casters.&nbsp; I have taken
cheap Chinese dollies with steel casters and made them lots better by
replacing the casters.&nbsp; Of course, the casters probably cost more
than the dollies at that point, but the end result was something way more
functional.&nbsp; I guess as long as you are having success with what you
have, there's no reason to mess with it.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve <br><br>
At 12:46 PM 11/18/2016, eric@megageek.com wrote:<br>
this doesn't turn into a &quot;synthetic or conventional oil&quot; type
market?&nbsp; I'm tried of ones that break or don't seem to work
properly.&nbsp; I currently use Shumakers, but they don't seem to be
doing the job.&nbsp; (Maybe I just need a different model of
guess.)&nbsp; But I want something that will work.&nbsp; I use them, all
the time, on a forklift, motorcycles, ATV, Generator and a few other
hydraulic like actually go jacks.&nbsp; They DO lift the trailer with no
issues and I can move it on pavement.&nbsp; I does require alot of force
to move, but that isn't the jacks issue.)&nbsp; I'm thinking the
hydraulic ones are NOT preferred as they have seals that can go bad over
time.&nbsp; These are mechanical and there isn't anything really to
save serious cash!</font> <br>

--===============6697634453050280636==

--===============6697634453050280636==--