Re: [Shop-talk] LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG OVER DUE WINDOWS UPDATES

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG OVER DUE WINDOWS UPDATES
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 21:53:28 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=qwimXgo7TuW4tvR7TNemrM18cLG2WR6GwFzx/+YzD/u7i/S+D80VDYHK3+qk5s5NA19Vzm5tY5eTdT0uRB+2XCzNgqt+Uy4yV/QoN2xVnczcZXngbncO0EGfDFBfSUsb6LpS6t85j85cHzdCLdCP96/E4Qh5ovRLgj+u16tEvomLUFdhMt18vxaqmT5zWF65SEmLJvWSvywLiI3h52uuzo+QtrrnvUpUspfkLY6g/hPyKETJDjkn3xCg/6KgdHBSQtChxZr/Vl2rSIyX5peJ2Zs42fNNaeZ52KC7vfCqc+a6mz2p/izSM5mA/DZhyNwG8mWIesfDGdSkRSqFj6iwEg==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------0E5B773362E543C1BD4288C6

I have a Win 7 laptop that had not been used in over a year, so had a
similar issue.

My first updates would be your anti-virus.

I then ran Windows Update at least 10 times to get it caught up.  It
would do some updates then need a restart.  It then found another batch
and needed another restart....

I'd just plug it in and start running updates.  Check every once in a
while.  Perhaps turn off the power saving/sleep so it stays on.

After all these updates, then I'd check your browser if not IE, Adobe
Flash, and Reader if you have them installed.

Brian

On 10/8/2018 5:57 PM, Tim . wrote:
> Yes, this is not a *shop talk* type of post but some of Y'all (sorry
> but I just got back from bloody Memphis) are better on the computer
> side of things than I used to be.
>
> I have a laptop that is old, tired, and seriously beat on. Thankfully
> the pint that I spilled on it some many years ago only took out the
> "Z". (I have to copy and paste one from a word doc..funny this.....
> NOT) Anyway, I've not done any windows updates in too long because I
> seriously don't think this computer can handle the updates.
>
> Win7 home premium currently being run on a Toshiba C655, Pentium CPU
> @2.20 GH w 4Gigs of ram that shows "service pack 1"
>
> Finally here's the question:
>
> What can I expect if I just click the "update" button for these long
> overdue updates.
>
> cheers
> happily home from sketchy memphis
> tim

--------------0E5B773362E543C1BD4288C6

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    I have a Win 7 laptop that had not been used in over a year, so had
    a similar issue.  <br>
    My first updates would be your anti-virus.<br>
    I then ran Windows Update at least 10 times to get it caught up.  It
    would do some updates then need a restart.  It then found another
    batch and needed another restart....<br>
    I'd just plug it in and start running updates.  Check every once in
    a while.  Perhaps turn off the power saving/sleep so it stays on.<br>
    After all these updates, then I'd check your browser if not IE,
    Adobe Flash, and Reader if you have them installed. <br>
    Brian<br>
cite="mid:CY4PR13MB13025DDF60DC21F7233CE5F9B4E60@CY4PR13MB1302.namprd13.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} --></style>
style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;"
        dir="ltr">
        Yes, this is not a <b style="text-decoration-line: underline;">shop
          talk</b> type of post but some of Y'all (sorry but I just got
        back from bloody Memphis) are better on the computer side of
        things than I used to be.
          Thankfully the pint that I spilled on it some many years ago
          only took out the "<span>Z". (I have to copy and paste one
            from a word doc..funny this..... NOT) Anyway, </span>I've
          not done any windows updates in too long because I
          seriously don't think this computer can handle the updates. </div>
          Pentium CPU @2.20 GH w 4Gigs of ram that shows "service pack
          1"</div>
          these long overdue updates. <br>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"