Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing/re-attaching coax line

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing/re-attaching coax line
From: Arvid <arvid.jedlicka@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 15:25:54 -0500

--------------5AEA915B5DC6DF48F54DDFAA

Scott,

Try to determine why kind of coax it is. It should be written on the
outer shield.

After that you should be able to Google for the correct connectors and
YouTube demo's on how to install them.

As an example, when I installed my satellite dish I used RG6 Quad
Shield. That also seems to be relatively popular CATV cable. But there
is also an RG6 Dual Shield which, I am assuming, would look similar on
the outside but is certainly not the same on the inside and takes a
different connector. And your cable not even be RG6 ANYTHING so look first.

Anyway, once you figure out exactly what cable you have then take the
environment into consideration. Do you need weatherproof connectors? Are
there any support issues? That kind of stuff.

Note that there may be some special tools to make the stripping and
inserting into the connector much easier. I've actually had better luck
... though it took a while ... stripping the coax by hand than I did
with the inexpensive coax strippers that I bought but the 'pusher' was a
must-have in my opinion. So you may get to buy some tools you don't
already have but will hopefully never need to use again.

Other than that I can't think of why you can't do it yourself. Of course
any laws, regulations, ordinances, contract agreements, etc. that you
violate while doing so are on you ;-}

Arvid

On 10/21/18 11:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Guys, not particularly shop related, but I trust you guys more than
> Google.
>
> Hurricane Michael knocked over a tree at the house. That tree ripped
> the overhead Concast coax line running to the house. It looks exactly
> like you'd think it would--ripped apart on one end.
>
> The other end has a connector on it. Looks like the push version of
> what you connect to the t.v. box in the house
>
> Can I trim the ends and install a new connector on the ripped-off end
> and connect them? If so, anything I find on Google will do?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

--------------5AEA915B5DC6DF48F54DDFAA

  <head>
  </head>
      the outer shield.</p>
      connectors and YouTube demo's on how to install them.</p>
      Shield. That also seems to be relatively popular CATV cable. But
      there is also an RG6 Dual Shield which, I am assuming, would look
      similar on the outside but is certainly not the same on the inside
      and takes a different connector. And your cable not even be RG6
      ANYTHING so look first.<br>
      the environment into consideration. Do you need weatherproof
      connectors? Are there any support issues? That kind of stuff.</p>
      and inserting into the connector much easier. I've actually had
      better luck ... though it took a while ... stripping the coax by
      hand than I did with the inexpensive coax strippers that I bought
      but the 'pusher' was a must-have in my opinion. So you may get to
      buy some tools you don't already have but will hopefully never
      need to use again.<br>
      course any laws, regulations, ordinances, contract agreements,
      etc. that you violate while doing so are on you ;-}<br>
cite="mid:CAK73_u4_99msoDw1HFQKsHCxhiR7a2vofsnfy5NwcotCrqsgTA@mail.gmail.com">
        you guys more than Google.
          house. That tree ripped the overhead Concast coax line running
          to the house. It looks exactly like you'd think it
          would--ripped apart on one end.</div>
          the push version of what you connect to the t.v. box in the
          house </div>
          on the ripped-off end and connect them? If so, anything I find
          on Google will do?</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>