Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge
From: Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 21:39:46 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
16 awg wire will give you about a 8% drop in voltage. If you are running a
light bulb, it should be fineâ?? just a bit dimmer. If you are running a motor,
there is a higher current draw on startup, which can actually not allow the
motor to start. Give it a try & see if it starts. If it doesnâ??t start
quickly, turn it off.

If you have larger awg wire cords available Iâ??d go that route.

In job sites I donâ??t run more than 75â?? usually but current loads can be as
high as 10 amps. The minimum size I use is 12awg & 10awg on longer runs.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity