Re: [Shop-talk] B&S mower engine, surging and dying. Ideas?

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] B&S mower engine, surging and dying. Ideas?
From: Scott Hall via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 22:48:12 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000093aaa005895db841

This. Sounds like it's running just long enough to get a vacuum on the fuel
tank, then starving for gas. Then sitting until the tank reaches
atmospheric again. Then repeat.

On Mon, May 20, 2019, 7:43 PM Pat Horne via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Try leaving the fuel cap loose to see if that helps.
>
> Will it start up when it dies with starting fluid.
>
> Peace,
> Pat
>
> Pat Horne
> We support Habitat for Humanity
>

> On May 20, 2019, at 4:57 PM, David Hillman via Shop-talk <
> shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

>   Ok, I'm out of ideas.  Requesting new ones.
>
>   I have a Craftsman walk-behind mower with a 163cc Briggs & Stratton
> 4-stroke engine ( engine: 104m02-0008-f1 to be precise ).  It's only 3 or 4
> years old, but it will not run.  And it's starting to piss me off.
>
>   It starts normally ( no manual prime or choke, so it takes ~3 pulls but
> it always has ), and runs fine for less than 5 minutes.  After that, it
> surges rhythmically and after a minute or so of that, dies.  Following
> that, it will not re-start until allowed to rest for a few minutes.
>
>   I have installed a new plug, new air filter, new carburetor, and new
> ignitor.  I checked and set the gap on the plug and the ignitor to spec (
> .030" and .006-.014" respectively ).  Has clean oil, and brand new gas.
> Fuel screen in the tank is clean, as is the fuel hose to the carb. Carb
> bowl has fuel.
>
>   What else can be wrong with it?  It seems to be heat-related, but it has
> no cooling system.
>
>   Thanks.
>
> Obligatory Shop Content: I can't work on anything interesting until this
> damn mower runs.

--00000000000093aaa005895db841

to get a vacuum on the fuel tank, then starving for gas. Then sitting until=
 the tank reaches atmospheric again. Then repeat.<br><br><div class=3D"gmai=
l_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, May 20, 2019, 7:43 P=
M Pat Horne via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>s=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">Try leaving the fuel cap loose to see if that helps. <br>
Will it start up when it dies with starting fluid. <br>
Peace,<br>
Pat<br>
Pat Horne <br>
We support Habitat for Humanity<br>
On May 20, 2019, at 4:57 PM, David Hillman via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:shop-talk@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
=C2=A0 Ok, I&#39;m out of ideas.=C2=A0 Requesting new ones.<br>
=C2=A0 I have a Craftsman walk-behind mower with a 163cc Briggs &amp; Strat=
ton 4-stroke engine ( engine: 104m02-0008-f1 to be precise ).=C2=A0 It&#39;=
s only 3 or 4 years old, but it will not run.=C2=A0 And it&#39;s starting t=
o piss me off.<br>
=C2=A0 It starts normally ( no manual prime or choke, so it takes ~3 pulls =
but it always has ), and runs fine for less than 5 minutes.=C2=A0 After tha=
t, it surges rhythmically and after a minute or so of that, dies.=C2=A0 Fol=
lowing that, it will not re-start until allowed to rest for a few minutes.<=
br>
=C2=A0 I have installed a new plug, new air filter, new carburetor, and new=
 ignitor.=C2=A0 I checked and set the gap on the plug and the ignitor to sp=
ec ( .030&quot; and .006-.014&quot; respectively ).=C2=A0 Has clean oil, an=
d brand new gas. Fuel screen in the tank is clean, as is the fuel hose to t=
he carb. Carb bowl has fuel.<br>
=C2=A0 What else can be wrong with it?=C2=A0 It seems to be heat-related, b=
ut it has no cooling system.<br>
=C2=A0 Thanks.<br>
Obligatory Shop Content: I can&#39;t work on anything interesting until thi=
s damn mower runs.<br>

--00000000000093aaa005895db841--

--===============8876064749756569292==

--===============8876064749756569292==--