Re: [Shop-talk] Hearing protection for mowing

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Hearing protection for mowing
From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 16:39:30 -0700
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=P1zXt+Cy/oC8AyPUiPtoFddIm5liqK8ZAv9402NHjF6XMzMTwoqr/9O6t1lglhh7gbnw4/R5zaRqPwKVW52NWnHjh8qKLlzy76PrdCKshr5VmxNKAqMtxg6vgtWyQVm0nECDx/3qtEJ4rksVPoQT30m/W8N5UtR0qo5qvzkU+/XhbysaGoQ2I3xi2HTBkgXP6C3/6uhr8hpFoPhAJozebholcp+kdg6LYP/YvDKDsp7wL/H0Aeq/Rx1jy35vW5aQmUS0PD5tHA6bDzHpQKsMmahbd+TTJYApTGzokoQIeQYA239ES6DnyFAfOaWKmrUTVBlt12Vs4C7qcV9T9HD7uQ==; h=Received:From:Subject:Cc:References:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------BD3A396F65C4DBC6ECB08A44

I like the foam ear plugs best.  I roll them tight so they slip right in
the ear and I've never had one fall out.  I find when almost fully
inserted, they work pretty good.  If I'm using something extra loud like
a router, I add ear muffs.

On the mower, do you have the option of changing the direction of the
muffler or adding a tip to the muffler?  If not, can you add a shroud of
some sort between your head and the muffler?  Just like we have lots of
options for car mufflers, is there an optional muffler that reduces the
sound more?

Brian

On 5/21/2019 12:38 PM, John Innis via Shop-talk wrote:
> I'd also like to find something better.  I am using 3M worktunes
> muffs, but if I wear sunglasses there is a gap around the ear seals
> that reduce the effectiveity quite a lot. I tried EAR brand rubber
> plugs, and various brands of foam plugs, but they won't stay in my ears.
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 2:29 PM Brad Kahler via Shop-talk
>
>     I mow with a commercial model Scag Turf Tiger that has a 27 hp
>     Kawasaki motor with the muffler that sits about 30" from my head.
>
>     I'm looking for recommendations for a really good set of ear muffs
>     that will help keep my ears from ringing when I'm done.  Currently
>     I've been using a pair of Echo ear muffs, sometimes with ear plugs
>     combined.  The combination isn't real bad but I'd like something
>     better.
>
>     Any suggestions?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Brad
>

> --
> =================================
> = Never offend people with style when you   =
> = can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
> =================================

--------------BD3A396F65C4DBC6ECB08A44

  <head>
  </head>
    I like the foam ear plugs best.  I roll them tight so they slip
    right in the ear and I've never had one fall out.  I find when
    almost fully inserted, they work pretty good.  If I'm using
    something extra loud like a router, I add ear muffs.<br>
    On the mower, do you have the option of changing the direction of
    the muffler or adding a tip to the muffler?  If not, can you add a
    shroud of some sort between your head and the muffler?  Just like we
    have lots of options for car mufflers, is there an optional muffler
    that reduces the sound more?<br>
    Brian<br>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CANuE7YD=R49g1dUu+vjb5ztND=k5nZ_5g9f-j8J9+1wb1dw0Fg@mail.gmail.com">
        3M worktunes muffs, but if I wear sunglasses there is a gap
        around the ear seals that reduce the effectiveity quite a lot.
        I tried EAR brand rubber plugs, and various brands of foam
        plugs, but they won't stay in my ears.  <br>
          PM Brad Kahler via Shop-talk &lt;<a
            href="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              a 27 hp Kawasaki motor with the muffler that sits about
              30" from my head. <br>
              of ear muffs that will help keep my ears from ringing when
              I'm done.  Currently I've been using a pair of Echo ear
              muffs, sometimes with ear plugs combined.  The combination
              isn't real bad but I'd like something better.</div>
            moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jdinnis@gmail.com";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jdinnis@gmail.com</a><br>
      -- <br>
class="gmail_signature">=================================<br>
        = Never offend people with style when you   =<br>
        = can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =<br>
        =================================</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";