Re: [Shop-talk] Ratchet rebuilding WAS Socket marking? (and a quick 'why

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ratchet rebuilding WAS Socket marking? (and a quick 'why?)
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 22:24:39 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 8:35 PM Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 8:45 PM Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> They will only swap out tools for the exact part number which is fine for
>> screwdrivers & sockets but might be a problem for ratchets.
>

> Some years back, I took a 30-year-old 1/2" torque wrench to Sears to get a
> ratchet kit.  That wrench was probably 25 years old at the time.  They didn't
> have the kit available any more, so I got a new torque wrench.   Those days
> are gone forever, I suspect.  And, in fact, policies like that may have had
> something to do with it.

the cost of warranty replacements for tools was very low, even with
the abuse.  Tools simply don't fail that often, they're more often
lost.  and a substantial fraction of people who could have warrantied
a tool don't.  They just throw it away, and buy a new one.  If the
actual cost of the warranty had been substantial, Stanley wouldn't
have accepted the warranty risk when they bought the brand.

Sears was done in by decades of poor management, and then a couple
decades of asset stripping by a fraudster.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com