Re: [Shop-talk] multimeter recommendations

To: "Jack Brooks" <JIBrooks@live.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] multimeter recommendations
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@att.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 21:30:23 -0500
All good advice so far.   I have a Simpson 260 and it's Triplett twin the 630,
a Fluke 77 and an 88 and a dozen HF throwaways...  I use the HF for quick go/
no go auto work and continuity. The test leads are the first fail point with
them.. and a good set of test leads is worth more than the meter.  The flukes
do the work away from the bench but every time I pull that 260 out of it's case
it's like greeting a old good friend.  You can't peek a transceiver with a
digital meter but you can see a meter movement (mirrored of course) with a
milliamp change.   It's as fragile as a baby if dropped so it's set on the back
of the bench when in use..  If all you want is homeowner stuff and not doing
electronics go with what you can afford, go with a Klein or a Sperry or any of
a dozen ebay specials  but I wouldn't spend over a hundred fifty bucks...
You'll probably outlive it.

john